GENERAL PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
Using Geographic Information Systems (GIS), the Manager, GIS Mapping & Technology reviews, collects, manages maps and analyzes a broad range of public spaces and marketplace data that the Center City District tracks. Data collected includes but is not limited to sensitive and/or confidential data related to crime trends and patterns. The Manager provides tactical, strategic and administrative analysis about such data as well as highlighting broader patterns and trends within the District, such as retail and building occupancy and the effect of public area improvements; findings are communicated by producing annotated GIS thematic maps, written reports, spreadsheets, database printouts and oral presentations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work under the management of the Sr. Director, Community Service Representatives to meet the goals of multiple CCD departments; cross-referencing real estate, public space, homeless, panhandling and crime data trends;
- Assists as needed with preparing various surveys, entering, managing and analyzing data, and identifying trends, patterns and predictions;
- Prepare crime summaries, statistical reports, spreadsheets, charts, maps, diagrams, graphs and related materials in order to support crime prevention strategies, resource allocation, and personnel deployment;
- Track and present findings related to criminal activity, patterns and trends;
- Prepares predictions based upon previous reported activity and an analysis of typical behavior patterns in order to support the partnership between the CCD and the Philadelphia Police Department.
- Prepare data analyses, maps, charts, diagrams, graphs and related materials to support the CCD’s Public Space Reporting System. This includes geocoding locations collected by the Community Service Representatives using ArcGIS Pro and Microsoft Excel to analyze the data using Spatial Analytics to produce reports and maps related to the collected data. The reports and maps are generated from data collected from homeless, panhandling and public space surveys;
- Work internally with CCD departments and externally with city agencies and other organizations to track the resolution of outstanding issues;
- Daily geocoding of police provided crime data and may require the individual to work closely with the Philadelphia Police Department to verify reported incidents;
- Develop a protocol and reporting methodology to monitor the success of the public space reporting system;
- Provide GIS analysis and map production for various departments within the Center City District;
- Research, study, and attend GIS related conferences and meetings to keep all CCD departments updated on new concepts, equipment and software programs;
- Train and assist other CCD employees on GIS and troubleshoots when necessary.
“These are the essential functions of the position, other duties may be assigned. Incumbents may be required to follow any additional related instructions, acquire job related skills and perform other work as required.”
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university or college in Geography, Urban Planning, Statistics and/or Public Administration. Geographic Information Systems Proficiency (GISP) Certificate is preferred;
- 3-5 years’ experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Proficiency with Geographic Information System (GIS) terms, concepts and methods.
- Proficiency with desktop GIS software, including ArcGIS Pro and ArcMap, web GIS administration using Portal for ArcGIS and ArcGIS Online. This includes user licensing, management, publishing map service and features services as well as creating and developing web-mapping applications;
- Proficiency with administration and development of mobile GIS field mapping applications, including Collector for ArcGIS, Survey 123, Explorer for ArcGIS and ArcGIS Companion;
- Proficient in the creation of geoprocessing models and use of Model Builder;
- Knowledge of using ESRI CityEngine and/or Google SketchUp for 3D Mapping;
- Experience with Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS) including Microsoft SQL Server, SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) for database administration and SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) for creating and automating reports;
- Knowledge of using Microsoft Power BI to create easy to use automated reports and dashboards;
- Familiarity of Computerized Maintenance management System (CMMS) and Microsoft PowerApps;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook;
- Strong ability to learn and understand new computer software;
- Strong cartographic and graphic skills to create high quality, informative presentation ready maps with direction from the CCD Creative Team in standardized map layout and design;
- Ability to process and analyze crime datasets;
- Solid communication skills with the ability to work effectively with fellow employees, representatives of other agencies, organizations and with other related businesses;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Ability to think critically, synthesize large amounts of information and work in a fast-paced work environment;
- Ability to present highly detailed material to groups ranging from a few to many, including audiences of both technical and non-technical end users.
- Working in a sedentary position for extended periods and viewing multiple computer screens;
- Ability to sit and be attentive for extended periods.
- Routine keyboard operations involved with data entry and/or mapping; these functions may be repetitive;
- Visual stamina and acuity to review alpha and numeric data, sense of color perception for maps and reports;
- Exposed to normal office environment with no significant environmental hazards;
- May require walking and use of a handheld device for field survey verifications.
- Must be able to pass a background investigation due to the sensitive nature of the data the employee will be handling and interaction with various law enforcement agencies including a criminal history, child abuse clearance, reference check and a drug screening.
Forward Resumes to:
Human Resources Department
Center City District
660 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106
We are an EEO/AA employer. No phone calls please.